100 Word Challenge – Week #10

This week Eve and Daniel are entering Julia Skinner’s 100 Word Challenge.  Every week Ms Skinner sets children from all around the world the challenge of writing a 100 word narrative.  Ms Skinner provides a prompt either in the form of a phrase, couple of key words or a picture.  This week’s picture prompt is below.

This week’s picture prompt for the 100 Word Challenge run by Julia Skinner

100 Word Challenge by Eve
It was a clear, black, night and two boys named Kai and Ryan were toasting marshmallows above a fire. Once it got to about midnight, the boys got out their fishing gear.

‘We’ll catch a big one,’ promised Kai.

Staring into space, Ryan concentrated on the rocky road below him as he trudged down to the creek, hoping for a bite. At 1:00am, he spotted some strange bubbles in the creek. Kai heard a splash and only saw Ryan’s gumboots floating on the water’s surface. Kai dived in after, and not only him, but Ryan too, were never seen again.

What does the picture make you think about?

9 thoughts on “100 Word Challenge – Week #10

1. Well done Eve. Very creative. The picture made me think of a bungy jumper who picked the wrong place to jump. He should have had a shorter rope!!

Mrs Laffan

• Dear Mrs Laffan,

Thanks for the comment!
      I think maybe you should have a go at the 100 WC, you seem to have your thinking cap on already!

Thanks for reading my story,

Eve 🙂

2. Hi Eve,

I can imagine the boys from your story trudging down the road hoping to catch a big fish. Great descriptive writing!

I do wonder what made them want to go fishing at midnight? I haven’t been fishing in a very looong time. Do you like fishing?

The picture makes me think about the time when I was about five and didn’t see a pond in my Grandma’s neighbours garden. It was covered with green mossy stuff and I walked straight into it. I didn’t end up quite upside down, but close!

Miss Crowther 🙂

• Dear Miss Crowther,

Thanks for the comment!

I do like fishing, and have caught a fish, except….. it wasn’t at midnight like Kai and Ryan! I don’t really know what would have made Kai and Ryan fish at midnight! Well, it’s not up to me…. Did I tell you my story was true… with a few tweaked bits?

Let’s hope you don’t encounter your ‘Five year old memories!’

Happy Blogging,

Eve

• Hi Eve,

Thanks for replying to my comment. I always like getting replies!

I did not know that your story was true. I’m guessing that the midnight part and the boys disappearing were the tweaked parts. Am I right?

So far I have managed to stay out of camouflaged lakes and hope to do so in the future!!

Happy blogging to you too!

Miss Crowther 🙂

3. Eve, what a great piece of work! Well done! I must say, those boys are brave to fish at that time of night! Your description and sentences are straight to the point and easy for the reader to digest, with just enough information to create a picture of what is going on.

• Dear Lizzie,
      Thanks for your comment about my story!

I’m very grateful that you liked my story, it was hard work (believe it or not!). 🙂

I like to come up with interesting things and unusual endings, middles and beginnings.

Thanks again!
      Eve

4. I really enjoyed reading your 100 word challenge Eve. I was quite shocked by the ending as I really didn’t expect both boys to go missing. Keep up the fabulous writing!

• Dear Miss Travers,
      Thank you for writing a comment about my 100 WC. I wanted to make the ending a mystery, that’s what I do for short stories! I’m glad that I have an audience!
      Thank you again,

Eve