Natural Disaster Facts & Figures

Today we discovered some interesting facts about natural disasters.

Did you know…

* The earthquake off Indonesia on Boxing Day in 2004 measured 9.1 on the Richter scale?

* 78 million people in Asia were affected by natural disasters in 2012?

* China has had the world’s deadliest famine, killing 30 million people?

* A severe tropical cyclone can have a sustained wind speed of 170km/h in the centre?

* Natural disasters affect people in different ways.  Click HERE to listen to how drought has affected three children.

Click HERE to watch a video about tsunamis (you can also just say ‘tsunami’ for the plural form too).  The word tsunami is a Japanese word.  ‘Tsu’ means ‘harbour’ and ‘nami’ means wave.

This week for Flipped Homework we have to watch the clip, write two interesting facts and ask one question in a comment on this post.

What interesting facts did you learn from the video clip?

What do you still want to find out about tsunamis?

18 thoughts on “Natural Disaster Facts & Figures

1. Hi 5/6JC,

I learnt that tsunamis can reach speeds of 500 miles an hour and you must go to high ground when you are warned that a tsunami is coming.

When was the first tsunami ever and where?

from Aidan

• Hi Aidan,

I don’t know when the first tsunami happened, but I know the most deadliest. It was on Boxing Day in 2004 off the coast of Indonesia. I remember watching all the news reports on TV. It caused a lot of damage and claimed around 200 000 lives.

I learnt that the time between waves can be between 10 and 60 minutes. I also found out that a lot of damage happens when the waves go back out to see and drag everything with them.

Miss Crowther

2. Hi,

I learnt that the speed of a tsunami can be 500 miles an hour and can be as high as a 10 storey building.

I wonder how frightening it would be that close to a tsunami?

From Billie! 🙂

• Hi Billie,

I think it would incredibly frightening to be close to a tsunami. I find it hard to imagine waves being as high as a 10 storey building, do you?

I think it is interesting how tsunami is a word the whole world uses but it is originally from Japan. I wonder where names of other natural disasters originate from…

Miss Crowther 🙂

3. Hi everyone!

I learnt that a tsunami travels the quickest in deep water and in Japanese it means ‘Harbour Wave.’

How long did the longest tsunami go for?

Eve

• Hi Eve,

Did it surprise you that waves travel more quickly in deep water?

I like how logical the word tsunami is when you know the Japanese meaning.

Miss Crowther 🙂

4. Hi 5/6JC

The biggest ever tsunami was in December 2004. The word tsunami in Japanese means harbour wave.

How fast can waves travel in deep water?

From Sam

• Hi Sam,

According to the video clip, tsunamis can travel up to 500 miles an hour. That is about 800 kilometres an hour. Pretty fast isn’t it?

I remember watching news footage of the 2004 tsunami. It was incredibly sad to see all the devastation caused and how people’s lives changed in an instant. I think scientists have developed new ways to warn people of potential dangers and that could save many, many lives.

Miss Crowther 🙂

5. Hey everyone!

I learnt that tsunamis travel faster in deeper water, but get higher in shallow water. I also learnt that some tsunamis can be as tall as a 10 storey building!!!

I winder why we don’t get tsunamis like Japan?

I also thought that the video was great!! Good job Miss Crowther!

From, Lily (5/6JC)

6. Hi everyone,

A fact that I learnt about tsunamis was that the deadliest recorded tsunami was in December 2004, more than two hundred thousand people died in it. I also learnt that waves can come in any direction.

I don’t really know what else I want to know about tsunamis. The video clip said it all. There will be more I want to know about tsunamis later on.

Happy blogging
    Madison

7. Hi Everyone,

Imagine having to deal with a tsunami!

I found out lots about tsunamis. The thing that I found the most interesting was that the biggest tsunami ever recorded was one in Indonesia. It went all along the Indian ocean until it reached some of Africa. This happened on Boxing Day in 2004. Many lives were lost as the waves ware unpredictable.

Happy Blogging! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Chelsea

8. Hi Everyone,

I learnt that the word tsunami in Japanese means harbour wave and that the wave from a tsunami can engulf a 10 storey building.

When and where was the deadliest tsunami ever recorded?

From Mitchell

• Hi Mitchell,

I really like how you used the word ‘engulf’ to describe how a tsunami can swamp a 10 storey building. It’s a great word and perfect to describe the action of the waves.

I think the deadliest tsunami ever recorded was in 2004 off the coast of Indonesia. Am I right?

Miss Crowther 🙂

9. Hi its Eula and Tanyshah,

We watched the video and we were very surprised that so many people were killed and the impact that it caused.

We still want to learn more on how they’re caused and how long it takes for a tsunami to happen.

Happy Blogging 🙂
    Eula and Tanyshah 🙂

10. Hi everyone,

I learnt that tsunamis mean harbour wave in Japanese and it can travel 1 metre and destroys everything in its path!

From Kiera

11. Hey Everybody,

I learnt before a tsunami strikes it makes a thunderous roar. The word tsunami in Japanese means harbor wave.

How tall was the biggest tsunami?

Ethan

12. Hi everyone,

I learnt that tsunamis can reach speeds of up to 700 km/h and that I wouldn’t want to be in one!!

I wonder what the fastest tsunami was and how many people died?

From Brodee

13. Hi everyone,

I just watched the clip of the drought that made lots of families feel worried what may happen next… it sounded really sad and the 2 girls, the boy and the goat. Ibfelt really sorry for them as well. But also how they said they were hoping they were going to get rain, but I even hope they get the rain as well
    .
    Thanks that is all have to say so far. Thanks for reading!

from Monique<3 🙂