Plenty of Fruit!

The Melbourne Wholesale Fruit, Vegetable and Flower Market came to Upper Plenty today!

Carolyn and Teisha told us some very interesting facts about the market.  Did you know that it is the largest wholesale market in the Southern Hemisphere?  It is the fifth largest market in the whole world!  When we are fast asleep, buyers and wholesalers are working hard.  The market is open from midnight to 7:30am.

We heard about the different types of fruit and vegetables available at different times of the year.  Carolyn and Teisha reminded us that we should eat 2 pieces of fruit and 5 vegetables every day.  It’s also important that we eat lots of different coloured fuits and vegetables.

The highlight of the session was when we got to munch on a variety of foods.  Some we eat everyday, like bananas and apples.  But, some things were new – like asparagus.  It’s important to try different foods because our taste buds change every 14 – 21 days.  So, if you don’t like something today, try again in three weeks time!

Thank you to Maggie for arranging for the visit and all the parent helpers who chopped our fruit.

Taste testers!

What fruits and vegetables do you like eating?

3 thoughts on “Plenty of Fruit!

1. I absolutely love my fruit and veg. I tend to eat more vegetables in winter in dishes like soups and pies and I eat more fruit in summer, making desserts and yummy drinks. I also love them on their own! My fave vegetable is corn and favorite fruit is raspberries – yum! We are currently replanting our veggie garden and getting a heap of fruit trees too, so looking forward to eating our very own produce soon. 🙂

2. Hi!
    I love vegies!!!! I can name millions (maybe billions) of them I like, even broccoli! But my favourite vegetable is CHOCOLATE!!!!! 🙂

The Bean Lover (Eve)
    P.S My favourite HEALTHY food is Green Beans
    1. ‘Cause they’re green
    2. They’re yum!!

By the way, what was your Anti Spam Word? Mine was ‘up drachm’

Eve