From Tullamarine to Tassie…We Hope!

Jetstar Airways runs a ‘Flying Start Programme’ which gives groups a ‘flying start’ or helping hand in the form of a grant.    For the past three months, entries have been open to organisations in Victoria and Tasmania.  One lucky charity, sporting, educational, health or arts group/organisation has the chance to win $15 000 in flights and $15 000 in cash.  Read more about it HERE.  A little while ago, Miss Crowther received an email about it and we decided that we would like to apply.

After meeting our blog buddies from Killara Primary School we would love to meet more of the people we work with through out blog.  So, we would like to use the grant to meet our blog buddies from 5/6CS in Tasmania.  The plan (and Mrs S from 5/6CS agrees) would be to visit Montagu Bay Primary School, meet our buddies and visit attractions in Tasmania.  It would be wonderful to meet the people we have worked with on Artist Trading Cards and the Alien Project.  Click HERE, HERE and HERE to find out about the trading cards and HERE to read about the Alien project.

A team of people in 5/6JC spent the last few weeks of term writing and rehearsing a song to try and convince the judges that we should be given the grant.  Some of us helped to brainstorm ideas for the written application.  We filmed our song and you can watch it below.

The $15 000 cash would be used to pay for accommodation, meals and entry fees.  The left over money would buy us more laptops and iPads so we could continue to collaborate with 5/6CS and other classes around the world.

We know that there will be hundreds (maybe thousands?!) of people applying and they would all put the grant to excellent use.   However, if you don’t apply, then you have absolutely zero chance of being awarded the grant.  Applications close tomorrow and we all have our fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed!

If you had free flights to anywhere in the world, where would you visit?  Why?

Have you ever applied for a grant?  What was it for?

20 thoughts on “From Tullamarine to Tassie…We Hope!

1. Dear 5/6 JC,
    Good luck! What a marvellous idea, and also a sound philosophy – if you don’t give it a shot, you haven’t got a chance at all! I love your song, it’s very persuasive, so I really hope that it works and you jet overseas to Tasmania. That would be AMAZING! As you may know, we are learning about Australia at the moment, and Tasmania is a place that many of us would like to visit, it sounds incredibly interesting. Good luck with your application!
    Mrs Monaghan

• Hi Mrs Monaghan,

Lots of people say that Tasmania is similar to England. Have you heard that? Or, do you think that from the photos you have seen of Tasmania?

It would be wonderful if we were the lucky winners of the flights and money. And yes, you have to be in it to win it!

We will let you know how we go! Pity they don’t fly to England!!

Miss Crowther

2. That was awesome!!! You guys are certainly in with a good chance of winning with such a convincing and original performance. I loved it! Wishing you lots of luck that you will get to meet your Tasmanian Skype friends. I am a definite believer that you have to be in it to win it!
    If I had free flights to anywhere in the world it would be to Antartica! I have always dreamed of seeing giant icebergs and all the spectacular wildlife there.

• Dear Liz (My Mum),

Thankyou for posting a comment our blog. We really apreciate your wishes for us to win and how you liked our video. We put in a lot of effort and I’d like to thank Miss Crowther for giving us a chance in it, filming the video and editing it so well (thanks to our singers too!).

I’d never of thought to go to Antarctica. Good luck with getting there!

Eve

3. Dear 5/6JC,
    Good luck! I really hope you win and I’m really nervous for you! When are the winners announced?
    If I could visit anywhere in the world, I would have to visit Japan! I love the fashion and culture of Japan – so you could understand why I loved studying Asia in Term 2 so much!
    I have all my limbs crossed for you to win this grant! Do you think you could fit me in your suitcase to Tasmania?
    Miss Fraser 🙂

4. Dear 5/6JC,

We think we have a great chance of winning! But we don’t want to get our hopes up just in case we don’t win 🙁

It was really fun writing the song and putting together the dance!

Lily: I would like to go to Paris because I would like to see the Eiffel Tower and the city looks amazing at night.

Paige: If I had free flights to somewhere I would go to Bali because it’s really pretty on the beaches when the sunsets or with Lily to Paris!

Lily & Paige 🙂

5. Hey Miss Crowther,

If you had free flights to anywhere in the world, where would you visit? Why?
    I would go to America, Bali or Thailand because I have heard about good experiences from other people that have been to these places. Plus, Bali and Thailand have really good weather. America has Disneyland and stuff like that.

Have you ever applied for a grant? What was it for?
    I think I have but I don’t remember and I have only done them at school. Plus, I really enjoyed doing the Jetstar one, it was so fun!! 🙂

From Billie 🙂 😉

6. Hi 5/6JC,

If I had a free flights to any where in the world I would go to disneyland because I have wanted to go there sinse I was two.

I have never applied for a grant before.

From Aidan

7. Dear Miss Crowther,
    I’d like to go to many places:

1. Canada – I’d like to experience the cold weather!
    2. Brazil – Rio is my favourite animated movie, so I’d like to play on the beaches.
    3. Spain – It’s a hot country, so I could play in the pool all day.
    4. England – I’d get to see my family in Manchester.
    5. Malaysia – It’s just an interesting country to discover. So instead of using the internet, why not go there yourself???
    6. India – India is a very cultural country and I’d like to experience their colour festival.

Eve

• Hi Eve,

I like the variety of reasons that you include in the places you would like to visit. I also like the way you set out the information – very easy for me to read and understand. 🙂

What do you think you would do with Canada’s cold weather? Skiing perhaps?

Lots of people will be visiting Rio in 2016. Do you know why? I smiled when I read why you want to visit Rio. I’m not sure what my favourite animated movie is. When I was little I loved watching The Smurfs. I also enjoyed Despicable Me when we were on camp.

Good luck with your travels!

Miss Crowther 🙂

8. Billie,

I think it is a great idea to go to places that you have heard good things about. ‘Word of mouth’ is one of the best ways to find out about good things, including places to visit.

Do you like to go on all the rides at places like Disneyland? I remember when I was at Seaworld I went on one that turned me upside down. It was fun but I was also very happy to get off!!

I am glad you enjoyed working on the Jetstar grant. I did too! Hopefully the judges think we are worthy winners. It would be amazing to take you all to Tasmania and meet our blog buddies. It’s great to think that blogging lets us connect with people from all around the world.

Happy Blogging!
    Miss Crowther 🙂

9. Hi,

I hope you get the grant.

I would go to Thailand because I love the weather and my mum and dad have been there and they say it is AWESOME!!!!

From Kaleb

10. Hi,

If I got to go to a place anywhere in the world it would be DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME AND I’VE NEVER BEEN THERE BEFORE.

Ben

11. Hello 5/6JC!!

If we got to go anywhere in the world, we would go to…….

RIO!!!!

because we love the movie RIO, and the Carnival on the movie looks… GROUSE!!!!!

From Joelie and Mikayla 🙂

12. Hello people from Upper Plenty,

If I had to go to somewhere without paying I would like to go to Hong Kong Disneyland because of the delicious buffets they have. They had DONUTS. OH YEAH!

Bye

From Josh

13. Hi,

I would like to go to Greece because the weather looks really nice.

I would also like to visit Egypt or Jordan to see wonders of the world.

Lewis (from 5/6K)

14. Hello everyone,

I’m crossing my fingers, I’m crossing my toes and I’m crossing anything else I can cross to go to Tasmania! Ok, what I just said was a bit weird but I really hope we can go because I really want to meet the people at the Tasmania school in person. If I had free flights I would also want to go to England.

Upper Plenty rocks!

From Zach

15. Hi 5/6JC

Where we would go if we had free flights and why…
    Daniel- Tassie because I want to go to the Cadbury Chocolate Factory.
    Erin- Queensland because you can go to the beach every day.
    Sasha- Tasmania because of the chocolate factory
    Hayley- Queensland because I can see my family
    Alexis- Los Angeles because there is lots of movie stars.
    Ashleigh- LA because there is Disney Land there with an awesome ride.
    Trent- Sydney so I could visit my aunty.
    Bethany- LA because I can see lots of movie stars

From Miss Joy and 1J