Having Fun in China

This term’s Our Unit of Inquiry is all about China.  China has a population of 1.3 billion people (according the National Geographic for Kids) which means that more people live in China than in any other country on Earth.  We have discovered that China has huge mountains, sandy deserts and even rainforests. 

Last week we learnt about some of the traditional games children play in China.  They play lots of the same games we do, like running races, tiggy and hide and seek.  Some of the games are a lot like our games, only with a different name.  ‘Jumping Room’ is the same as our Hopscotch and ‘Dodge the Beanbag’ is our Poison Ball. 

Some Chinese games are not so similar to the games we play.  Tiao Pi Jing (tee-ow-pee-jing) is one of these games.  Miss Crowther remembers calling it Elastics and playing it when she was at primary school.  As part of our Education Week celebrations we taught our prep buddies how to play and have made a short video to teach our blogging buddies!  Thanks to Mrs M for the Vimeo tips.  If you don’t have elastic, thread some elastic bands together! 

We didn’t know it at the time, but it turns out Mrs M and Class 2 have also been playing elastics….in England!  Click HERE to see their video clip.

What is your favourite game to play?  Do you know which country it originates from?

Do you know any other Chinese games?

6 thoughts on “Having Fun in China

1. Interesting uniform the students are wearing ;)! And yes, I too played elastics in primary school. We would spend our entire lunchtime challenging ourselves with all sorts of patterns and jumps, it was heaps of fun!

• Hi Liz!!!

Awesome!!! You played Chinese Jump Rope too, almost everyone plays/played it! 😀

It’s great you’re posting comments on our blog 😉 It’s funny that you use to play it all the time, now that we know how to play we play it a lot at school too.

Mum wants to get some elastic so we can play at home! 🙂

Hope to hear from you soon bye for now.

Lily (Peace out)

2. Hi Miss Crowther and 5/6C
    Great to see a video on your site, I bet now you’ve cracked it, you’ll be uploading them all the time! It’s a great way to share, especially for something like your jumping game where we need to see the action. I was thrilled to see you playing elastics, because I actually have some film on my camera at the moment of us playing that exact same game – but with different words! I am going to try and find time this week to upload a video too, and then perhaps you can play our version as well.
    We have some elastics in school that the children enjoy playing with at break times. When I was a kid, if you didn’t have elastic you ‘borrowed’ your mum’s tights and tied them together to make an elastic – I say ‘borrowed’ in inverted commas because I don’t recall them ever wanting them back after…!
    Enjoy your games!
    Mrs Monaghan

• Hi Mrs Monaghan,

I’m from 5/6JC and it’s great to hear you’re visiting our blog often. 🙂 We really like people visiting our blog it means that we get a lot of comments and we get to reply to other people!

It’s great that your class and other students play Chinese jump rope (or whatever you call it because you said you call yours a different name) anyway I like how you used to play it when you were a kid. I think that’s very clever how you ‘borrowed’ your mum’s tights and tied them together. 😀

Bye for now. Hope to hear from you soon,

From Lily 5/6JC

3. Hi 5/6JC,

The elastics was a fun game. Brock and I were playing it all recess when Brock hurt his hand. Then because there was only two of us we used a chair on the end.

From Mitchell

4. Hi 5/6JC

I really liked play jump rope. I am pretty good and I can do up to the hip. My favourite game to play is dodgeball. I don’t know where it originates from, but I guess Greece.

From Sam