Surf’s Up!

On Friday the Bushwahzee Band came to school. The theme was ‘Surf’s Up!’ and we all had a rad time man!

The day started with a whole school dancing and singing session. DJ PJ, Felix and Seamus taught us a couple of songs, including one where we all had to pretend to waddle like penguins. There were two more dancing sessions during the day. We learned our dance for the evening family dance.Β 

After school lots of people headed up to a local hall to dance the night away with their family and friends.

We would like to thank the Family and Friends group for organising the event. Cowabunga dudes!

What type of dancing do you like to do?Β  Have you ever had lessons?

What is your favourite thing about the beach?

Have you ever been surfing or boogie boarding?Β  Tell us about it!

Β 

30 thoughts on “Surf’s Up!

1. Dear 5/6 JC,
    That looks like so much fun! I especially liked the penguin dance – it would have been great to have a video of you dancing to the music too! I like the idea of having a special day that continues into the evening with a dance – was it for a special occasion? Have you done things like that before?
    Mrs Monaghan

• Dear Mrs Monaghan,

Great to hear from you! πŸ™‚

It was lots of fun and I think I must be getting old because it was also very loud! There were lots of very cute penguins. I was hoping to video it but we have misplaced our Flip Cam at the moment…just as I was all set to film and use your tips to get the video on the blog with Vimeo. With a bit of luck I will be able to borrow one next week and get some film footage on the blog soon.

The dancing wasn’t really for a special occasion. Over the past two years we have done some dancing as part of our Phys. Ed. program. The parent night is always popular so we made sure we did it again. Do you do similar things at Middleham?

Miss Crowther

• Hi Miss Crowther,
        In the past we have had games nights, BBQs and carol concerts with parents – but no dancing! At the end of this term my class will be organising and running a French Cafe for the parents to visit, and perhaps we should have some dancing there too?! I’m not sure penguin dancing would be appropriate, perhaps something more sedate!
        Mrs monaghan

2. Hi 5/6 JC,

I hope you all enjoyed the dance day. I was very impressed with the few people that were confident enough to get up in front of parents on Friday night and dance. When I was little we used to go boogie boarding in Queensland, but I have never been very good a balancing so I wasn’t very good at it. I guess my favourite thing about the beach would be building sand castles! It was nice to get into the beachy spirit on Friday, especially when we are a week away from starting our winter.

From Miss Varker

• Hi Miss Varker,

Thanks for visiting our blog!

It does take a lot of confidence to get up and dance in front of other, espeically if not many are dancing. I agree, it is impressive when people do it.

Did you enjoy boogie boarding? I have tried surfing once and was surprised at how fast I seemed to travel. It all happened very fast. One second I was up, the next I was not!! What type of sand castles do you like to build?

I think the ‘Surf’s Up!’ sun and sand might be the last we see of the warm weather for a while. Stay warm!

Miss Crowther πŸ™‚

• Hi Miss Varker,

It’s nice to hear you commenting on our blog, we really appreciate it. Even though Paige didn’t go to the dance we had lots of fun doing the rehearsals.

Lily went to the rehearsals and the dance night but there was only two grade 6s so we had to get some grade 5s to help us.

Thanks,

Lily & Paige

• Hi Lily and Paige,

It was indeed a great night, but yes there were only two grade 6s so luckily some year 5s came to the rescue.

I had an awesome time doing the rehearsals.

From Madison

P.S: Happy blogging!

• Hi Miss Varker,

I didn’t go to the dance night but of course I was at school in the day and I guess the training was good.

From Trent

3. Hi Miss Crowther and 5/6JC,
    I filmed some of the dancing on Friday night, the 2 brave Gr 6 girls and their Gr 5 “helpers” who danced up a storm!

• Hi Melissa,

I don’t have any footage of any of the dancing, do you think I could put your footage of the dancing on the blog?

Hope you had fun on Friday night too! Did your dancing shoes get a workout?

Miss Crowther πŸ™‚

• Hi Melissa,

Yes there was only Lily and I at the dance night for year 6s but luckily some years 5s came to help us. It was really funny how we had to do it by ourself.

I really liked the dance night I though it was fun. Did you like the dance night?

Happy blogging.
      from Madison:)

4. Hi everyone,

What type of dancing do you like to do? Have you ever had lessons? I do cheerleading and I have to do 4 hours a week. I used to do dancing with Chelsea but not anymore. πŸ™ But I think cheerleading is much better, no offence Chelsea.

Everything such as:
    . The ocean
    . The sand
    . The fish
    . The boats
    . Fish and chips that I always eat at the beach
    and more!

Have you ever been surfing or boogie boarding? Tell us about it!
    I think I have been surfing and boogie boarding but it was ages ago. I want to go again πŸ™‚

πŸ˜€ From Billie πŸ˜€

• Hi Billie,

Great to see that you love cheerleading so much. I like cheerleading too but I do dancing lessons 7 hours a week. The dances that I do include: jazz, tap, hip-hop, ballet and musical theatre.

I love everything about the beach but there is one thing in particular- it is the waves. It is so much fun playing in the water and all of a sudden, the waves start crashing against you!

Happy Blogging! πŸ™‚
      Chelsea

5. Hi Gr 5/6C

I had a great night on Friday. It is always good when the whole school gets together to have fun. I loved watching the smiles on the faces of our younger children and thought the the few brave senior students who took to the stage to do their dance set an exceptional example for other students. It was a credit to you and to the students who were willing to do the dance for the first time in front of an audience so that those who had practised got their chance to show off their work. Well done!
    Mrs Laffan

• Hi Mrs Laffan,

Thanks for the great comment!! I agree that all the senior children did a spectacular job. It seems that they had a few less people. I also enjoyed all the smiles, I don’t think I have ever seen so many in my life :D! My favourite part of the Bushwahzee was probably being the cool jail person.

Speak to you soon
      Ethan!

6. Hi,

I didn’t go on the night but from the video it looked great!!!!

I hope it was a good night for everyone! I bet it was! I wish I did go because it looked really fun!!!!

!Monique! πŸ™‚

7. Dear 5/6JC and Miss Crowther,

I have surfed before and it was fun! Actually, it wasn’t the type of surfing you have in mind! I surf without a board! You just have to pretend you’re on a surfboard! I don’t do tricks or anything, but I just get pushed to the beach by the waves (If I catch one, though). Once a wave was so big, I was blown forwards and crashed into a man I didn’t know!

My favourite kind of dance is ‘Hip Hop.’ I used to do dancing lessons for ‘Tap’ when I was eight, but I stopped for I didn’t enjoy it.

My favourite things about the beach, are:
    How hot it can be,
    There are great waves,
    It’s fun
    And, Your parents buy you ice creams!
    YUM!

Eve

8. Hi everyone,

It was nice to see people had a good time at rehearsals and at the dance. Tt was all about the beach and I love the beach, especially the water.

Last year we did a bushwhazee and it was bush dancing. That was fun too but the beach was probably better. Everyone had fun and that’s the main thing.

Talk to you soon,
    Kiera:)

9. Hi groovy gals and guys,

There are so many things I love about the beach. It is nice to go in the water and cool down when the weather is hot. I also like eating ice cream- I always get mint choc chip because that’s my favourite! What ice cream do you like?

I like feeding chips to the seagulls too because they always get so excited about it. I throw the chips into the air and see if they can catch them. They usually do!

One of my favourite things to do at the beach is go boogie boarding. It is tricky trying to catch the wave at the right time but I love it when I catch a wave all the way back to the shore! You can go very fast too, like a rocket!

Peace all,

Miss Kenny.

• Dear Miss Kenny,

Thank you for posting a comment on our class blog!

Your fun ideas to do at the beach, like feeding seagulls and eating ice cream are really making me want to go right down there now!

My favourite kind of ice-cream is either Hokey Pokey or Honeycomb! I especially love the sweetness of them both.

My favourite ice-cream store is Gelatisimo. When we go to Queensland we always get an ice-cream there. They have lots of flavours like:

Green Apple
      Vegemite!
      Lamington
      Five types of chocolate!
      Vanilla Bean
      And Raspberry

I’ve tried Green Apple, Lamington, two kinds of the chocolate and Raspberry. My little sister has tried the Vegemite!

Don’t get too sunburned!

Eve

10. Hi everyone,

It was really fun doing the Bush Wahzee. I like the beach a lot! I’ve been boogie boarding before and I flipped right off the board, but it was still fun.

What is your favourite thing about the beach:
    Water
    Surfing
    Bogie boarding
    Sand
    Swimming
    Beach cricket
    Getting buried in the sand
    Building a sand castle
    Or the fish, star fish

Happy Blogging πŸ™‚
    Tanyshah πŸ™‚

11. Hi,

I thought the dance night was good and Lily and I were the only year 6s, so Billie, Chelsea, Ethan and Eve had to help us. I would just like to say thank you to them. My favourite thing at the beach would have to be the water and sand. Without that, there would be no beach. But, I love the beach so much that I wish I could live there!

I have been boogie boarding at an awesome beach. I felt like I was getting pushed along in the air because I was up high on a big wave. I hope when I’m older I can get a surfboard. That would be awesome.

From Madison

12. Hi Mrs Laffan,

Yes, the dance night was really fun and all the dances were great fun to watch.

I hope we can do another dance soon!?

From Laikyn.

13. Hi everyone,

I love the beach soooo much!

The ice-cream is my favourite! Whenever we go on holiday (Usually in Queensland), we get an ice-cream every day! Sometimes they are double scoop!

My favourite ice-cream is either Hokey Pokey or Honeycomb! What’s your favourite ice-cream???

Thanks,
    Eve

14. Hi everyone,

I also couldn’t go to the night and the day because it was my Nan’s birthday and we took her shopping and out for lunch. That night I had a sleep over at my Nan’s and the next day we went to the plaza then went back to Nan’s and played her ipad and waited for my dad to come to pick me up. Then my my sister came before dad. Then he came as well I did not know what was going on. Hayley (my sister) said that we’re trading her car in for a new one. We went to Toyota in Preston. Hayley chose the car that she wanted. Then on Tuesday after school we went and picked up my sister from her work and went to Toyota and swapped the cars. Hayley filled in the paper work and we got home at 6:30 and that’s why we didn’t go to school that day.

from Brodee

15. Hi everyone,

It was really fun dancing. The grade 5’s dance wasn’t based on the beach. Ours was actually a jail theme! It was really fun dancing to the dance. I didn’t get to go to the show but some of my friends did and they said it was really good and fun. πŸ™‚

Happy blogging πŸ™‚
    Bye for now πŸ™‚
    Tanyshah πŸ™‚

16. Hello 5/6JC,

How are you? We are good.

Jazz, Hip Hop, Tap Dancing, Free Style, The Chicken Dance, Ballet, Hocky Pocky, Heads, Shoulders, knees and toes, Crazy Dance. Roma does Dance lessons but Emily and Alani don’t.

We like surfing, making sand castles, sun baking, swimming and relaxing.

Roma has been boogie boarding, Emily has been boogie boarding and Alani has been boogie boarding and surfing.

Alani went surfing once but crashed into a rock and broke her surfboard. Roma thinks it’s fun when she rides down the waves with her boogie board. When Emily was little she used to jump over the waves with her boogie board and wait for the waves to push her back to the sand.

Do you like to do what we like to do at the beach?

What do you like to do at the beach?

From Roma, Alani and Emily.
    4/5P