A Super Skyping Session with 5/6CS!

Yesterday we Skyped with some very talented artists and ‘origami-ists’ (is that even a word?!) from 5/6CS in Tasmania.  At the start of the term, Mrs S and 5/6CS sent us Artist Trading Cards and we created some for them. The only problem was that we didn’t know how to make the fancy little paper card holders. So, we Skyped with them and they taught us!

Some students in 5/6CS stayed in during their lunch time and showed us how to turn one piece of A4 paper into a card holder with four pockets.  It was easy to follow most instructions but we had to keep on checking to see if we followed them correctly.  Our sound was a bit dodgy to start with but we fixed it by the end of the instructions, just in time for our chat.  We had to ask them to sing the alphabet whilst we tested our sound.  We think they thought it was a strange request!

When we finished we all held up our card holders and 5/6CS cheered and clapped.  We were proud of 5/6CS for their wonderful instructions and proud of ourselves for following them correctly.

After we made our card holders we had a little chat.  Some of us were able to talk to the artists who made the cards we received.  Ideally, you are meant to meet the artist who makes your cards face to face.  However, we need to collect a few more 5 cent coins before we can afford a trip to Tasmania!!  So, Skype was the next best thing.  It was wonderful to talk to the person who created the cards we received.

After our Skype call, we got a little carried away with the card holders.  Some people decorated and made some more using coloured paper.  Most of our card holders are ready to be sent.  We hope to have them in the post by Friday

.

Have you ever received Artist Trading Cards?

Has anyone taught you anything using Skype?

What type of origami do you know how to make

24 thoughts on “A Super Skyping Session with 5/6CS!

1. Hi,

I really enjoyed getting the cards, making cards, making the folders, Skyping with them and sending cards. It was really easy to make the cards once you got the hang of it.

From Daniel.

2. Hi 5/6JC

I’ve never Skyped with someone that taught me something. But, I Skype with my dad when he’s away. I’ve never received any trading cards

From Mitchell

3. Hello everyone,

The Super Skyping Session with 5/6CS was so much fun! It is amazing how we can communicate with people anywhere! This was the first time I had received Artist Trading Cards and they were very creative. I have made origami heaps of times. You have to have the patientce to make origami- it takes a while!

Thank you 5/6CS for teaching us how to make those wonderful card holders of yours.

Happy Blogging!
    Chelsea

4. I had a lot of fun skyping with 5/6CS. It was really easy at start but then it got very difficult. At the end I had to go to a friend so he could do the end part for me but I still did most of the folding

From Zach

5. Hi,

I have to say that the artist trading cards were very fun to make…
    I have not learnt anything educational on Skype outside of school yet, but I hope I will in the future.

No, I am not very good at origami. Probably the only thing I know how to make is a paper plane.

From Eula 🙂

6. Hi,

It was really fun making the pockets. I think it was really tricky at times because one second it was close the paper then the next second it was open the paper. I got frustrated at times but I still did it, so it was worth it!

Bye for now.

from Tahlia

7. Hi,

I liked making the cards. It was a bit tricky but once you got the hang of it, it was easy. I know how to make a couple of things like paper hats, some paper airplanes and some other things. I like making things and I like Skyping. So, it was fun for me.

From Sam

8. Hi everyone,

It was really fun skyping with 56CS and it was really fun making the Artist Traiding Cards. I got to speak to the person that made the cards that I received. It was so funny when we made them sing the alphabet 🙂

Happy blogging
    Tanyshah!

9. Hi,

The Skyping was so fun I hope we can do it again. I really liked making the paper pockets it was really cool.

In a split second it turned into a paper pocket! 🙂

I really hope we can do it all again.

Goodbye everyone,

From Lily

10. Hi,

I’m Brodee. When we Skyped with 5/6CS it was not the best picture, but we could hear them perfectly. It was fun making the 4 pocket cards.

Have to go now.
    Brodee

11. Hi 5/6JC and Miss Crowther

What a great blog post about our Skype session. We are glad that you were able to follow our instructions and your card holders look fantastic.

We are looking forward to receiving a parcel in the post and Mrs Smith hopes that she is at work the day it arrives. You have managed to sneak in a few more tantalising peeks at the cards you have created but we will just have to wait patiently for them to arrive.

I have some great origami instructions for a butterfly that I like to fold and use on handmade greeting cards. Sometimes our Japanese teacher gives the class time to go online and find origami ideas to fold at the end of our Japanese learning sessions.

regards

Mrs S and 5/6CS

12. Dear Miss Crowther and class
    I have never heard of artist trading cards but it all sounds very interesting and they look amazing.
    We would love to learn more about them and what it is all about and how to make them and the fancy card holders.
    We haven’t done any skyping at school yet but it is something we would live to investigate.
    We have done some simple origami like frogs and whales and samarui men.
    If you can tell us more about artist trading cards we would be very interested.
    Keep up the exciting blogging.
    We have enjoyed reading it all.
    Mrs Beer

13. Hey everyone,

It was super fun skyping with 5/6CS. It was amazing how they taught us how to make the card holders on Skype. I haven’t had someone teach me something on Skype before. The card holders look really good and we decorated them. The cards look awesome as well.

Happy Blogging!
    Tanyshah

• Hello Tanyshah,

I received your Artist Traiding Cards and I love them! They are really cool! Thank you for all the effort you put into making them! How long did it take you to make them?

Regards
      Jess

14. Hi 5/6s,

I think making the cards was super duper hard until I got the hang of it!! The first time I have ever recieved any artist trading cards was this term with all the other ATCs (Artist-Trading-Cards).

Bye for now
    Ethan McAwesome

15. Hello 5/6s

I have never received any artist trading cards from overseas or anywhere else. It was really awesome to draw the trading cards.

Bye for now
    from Jarrad.

16. Hi everyone!

I am a student from 5/6 CS.

I had a great time skyping with 5/6 JC and teaching you how to make card holders. I have not received trading cards before but I am looking forward to! I have skyped before but not with another school and I haven’t taught or been taught anything over skype either. There is a lot of origami I know and I wont list everything but my favourites are origami frogs, pianos and dogs!

The pictures of the card holders look great!

I hope we can skype again!

Goodbye!
    Heidi :-]

• Hi Heidi,

Thanks for visiting our blog and leaving a comment. Thank you also for teaching us how to make the paper card holders. It was something different for us too – learning through Skype. It is amazing the things you can do with technology.

I was the lucky person who got your artist trading cards and it was wonderful to talk to the person who made them! I put our cards in the post today so you should be receiving them very soon!

How did you learn to make the origami frogs, pianos and dogs? Do you know which country origami originated in? When I was younger I learnt a little bit of Japanese. The word for dog is ‘inu’ and frog is ‘kaeru’ (ka-air-ru). Do you learn a second language at your school?

Perhaps we will get to Skype again. Fingers crossed!

Miss Crowther 🙂

• Hi Heidi,

It was great for you to visit our blog and it was also good you taught us how to make the card holders. Your instructions were really good and easy to follow. I hope we can Skype with you and your class again! 🙂

Thanks again!

From Lily 5/6JC

17. Hello 5/6JC,
    I’m from 5/6CS and I was in the Skype call which I think was fun. I use Skype a lot to talk to my friends and family. I occasionally do origami at school in Japanese, or at home when i’m really bored! But it’s really fun. I usually don’t have time to be bored because I do so many activities! What activities do you like doing?
    Katherine

18. Hi everyone

I have never received Artsit Trading Cards [A.T.C]. That was my first time having ATC and I thought it was really fun. I hope we do this again one time.

The only time someone has taught me how to do/make something was with 5/6CS.

I don’t know how to make oragami things besides the card holders we made with 5/6CS.

🙂 From Madison 🙂

• Hi Madison,

My class today (5/6CS) opened our package that we got a few days ago, to get our Artist Trading Cards (ATC). I got yours Madison and they’re really, really cool! Whose cards did you get, and were you in the Mystery Skype Call last year with 4/5DS?
      Thanks
      Katherine 🙂

19. Hi everyone,

I wish I was there that day I was home sick 🙁

I wonder who got my cards. I did spotty dots but I can’t remember what I called them. Spotty dots maybe?

I have used Skype once but that was a long time ago. I haven’t learnt anything from Skype because I’ve only done it once before.

I don’t know how to do origami but I think I will try to do it one day.

Blaise 🙂