Cyber Detectives

Last week, together with 3V and 4/5P, we became Cyber Detectives. Cyber Detectives is a program run by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) as part of their Cybersmart Programs. Last term an ACMA expert, Lesley, visited and spoke about all the different things we need to do to stay safe online and to be Cybersmart. Becoming Cyber Detectives helped us to practise what we have learned.

We worked in small groups to solve 15 clues. The clues were sent to us in emails. Below is the first clue we received:

Our teachers, people from ACMA and possibly even police officers were our online guides. After we received each clue we emailed our answer or any questions to one of the online guide. The guides kept us on track and helped us work out the mystery.

There were also 15 polls to vote in. The first one is below:

After reading all the clues it turns out that the phone belonged to ‘rolergirl13’ whose real name was Sarah. She had met someone online and agreed to meet them in real life. BUT, the person she was meeting wasn’t who they said they were. Luckily, the children who found the phone did all the right things and a teacher made sure that Sarah stayed safe. Sarah’s parents didn’t know that Sarah had been talking to a stranger online and posting personal information.

Check out the photos, taken by Miss Wills during the session, in the slideshow below. Thanks to Miss Varker and 3V for sharing!

We enjoyed being Cyber Detectives and think that it is a great activity for all upper primary and early secondary students to do. It really makes you think about what you should and should not do online.  Ask your teacher to visit the Cybersmart website and sign up now.  It’s free!  🙂

We would like to thank Mrs Placek for signing us up, our online guides and ‘roving’ helpers.  Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!

What do you do to stay safe online?

What information should never be posted online? 

(Don’t write it, just tell us the type.  For example, surname, phone number etc)

11 thoughts on “Cyber Detectives

• Dear Eula,

I thought that the whole being cyber detectives thing was really cool and it helped us learn how to be cybersafe. Do you like being cybersafe?

From Madison

1. I think the cyber smart detective activity was fun and cool because you needed to have a decision that you think is what you need to do for the situation.

I can’t think of any other reasons why it cool & fun but overall it was pretty cool!

From Trent

2. Dear Cyber Detectives,

I am so happy to hear that you are learning how to stay safe online! It is very important and can often be overlooked. Now you can help others make wise decisions.

In our technology classes, Internet safety is a topic we practice all year. Here is a link to our Sqworl with some of the websites we use to practice being safe online. http://sqworl.com/fmtdh2 Have any of you tried some of these before? Professor Garfield shares the acronym YAPPY to help us remember key points. We also think the Wizzywigs on Netsmartz hit on some important things to remember as well.

Thank you for sharing the Cybersmart website with us! We’ll look into it soon.

Your Cyber smart pal,
    Mrs. Moore
    Techie Kids

• Hello Mrs Moore,

Thank you for your comment. It’s always nice to hear from you and to hear what you do in your part of the world. 🙂

We will visit the websites from your Sqworl. YAPPY is a good way to remember how to behave online.

I wonder if you could do the Cyber Detectives program from America?

Your blogging buddy,
      Miss Crowther

• Hi, Miss Crowther!

I took a quick peek at the Cyber Detectives website. The website definitely sounds like it’s of good quality. It looks like I would have to create usernames and logins for my students to use it. I will consider this for the start of our next school year. Creating logins before students can use a website always slows me down a bit, since I have over 400 students each year. 🙂

We have a book that our class would like to send to you and your class. I’ll message you soon about contact information.

Have a lovely day!
        Your friend in Michigan,
        Mrs. Moore
        Techie Kids

• Hi Mrs Moore!

We really enjoyed Cyber Detectives and I think you would too. They set up our usernames and passwords for the students and online guides when we registered. I agree, setting them up can slow you down (especially if you have 400 students!!) so I was thrilled to discover I didn’t have to do anything! Teachers received an email with the information in and we passed it onto students on the day. It was really simple because the usernames and passwords were all the same.

Ooh, a book. How wonderful! You have me intrigued. I look forward to finding out more!

Have a happy day!
          Your friend ‘Down Under’
          Miss Crowther

3. Hi everyone of 5/6 JC,

I thought the Cyber Detectives was pretty cool! Do you think it was a good idea to do it? Well I did. It was good we did it because we got to learn about what to do when we go online.

Will we do more cyber smart things like that? Or will we do different things, like blogging?

Some things that you should never post online are:

– Surname,
    – Password,
    – Address,
    – Phone number,
    – Age, etc.

Stay safe online everyone and have fun,

From your classmate,
    Lily

• Dear Lily,

Thankyou for your comment. 🙂

I agree that you should never give out your personal details. And the ones you listed are perfect examples.
      Here are some tips for websites and apps appropriate and inappropriate for primary school kids.

– Kids under 14 shouldn’t be on Facebook. So hopefully no – one in our class/school is on Facebook.

– On your iPod touches, don’t get Instagram or Kick on the same iPod, iPad or iPhone, as it puts your phone number out in the open and will get messages from unknown people.

– Make sure you check with Mum or Dad about using a website for the first time.

– Only let people into your site with your password when you are there with them.

– Never give out your personal details such as:
      Address
      Phone number
      Real age
      Or Password

Make sure you act safely online and don’t cyberbully. Act if you see someone Cyberbullying someone else. Imagine if it happened to you.

A good and safe site for kids and teachers is Skoodle. Ask your teacher and they may be able to sign you up for it.

Eve
      P.S Sorry about the really long comment. 🙂 🙁

4. Hi 5/6JC,

I stay safe online because I don’t post my password or where I live, phone numbers etc.

from Aidan